Thursday, August 22, 2019

Me on 10th, 33rd, 35th, and 50th birthdays


My first birthday in the house on Cherry Street, August 1964.  We'd been living there about six months. Starting in the left foreground of the photo, that's the back of my younger brother Steven's head,  two unidentifiables next to him, then Trip Martin leaning in mischievously, Betty Trulock, me, and I think Jeff Jones with watch on, but don't quite recognize who the pensive one is (possibly Phillip Stone, Steven's age). Lastly, far right, Mark Davis, already looking like an attorney.
 Jim Kennedy (center, white shirt) added to group, others subtracted.
Glenn King (a first cousin of my mother's) and me at 205 Barton Street, Little Rock, on August 22, 1987, my 33rd birthday and the day I moved with Karen  Jo (after marriage on Aug 8th) to Austin.  Photo by Betty Trulock.  For details of that day, see August 28, 2017 entry in my Ink on His Face journal.




This is from my birthday dinner in 1989, at Mexico Chiquito restaurant in Little Rock.  I guess I'm drinking Dos Equis because they didn't have Negra Modelo, which now goes by the more grammatically correct name Modelo Negra. That was a year of divorce, depression (well that had been going on a couple of years at least) and my dad's death (May 24), so this is a pretty accurate photo for how I was feeling at the time.



On the deck at Bruce Somebody's house (Steven's friend) near the White River at Goshen, near Fayetteville.  Mike McKenzie, former guitar player and singer with a 1980s Little Rock band I was in, Nun Of The Above, brought the drums for me to play.  He also brought a friend, also named Mike, who played a keyboard, and Steven played his acoustic guitar, so we had some live music during this birthday celebration of mine 15 years ago.