Sunday, June 28, 2015

Wightmans & Trulocks 45 years ago


Until recently, I thought this photo was taken by my maternal grandmother, Elner King Miller. But I found an envelope a few months ago with two other photos from this day in it, and with a note my grandmother wrote to my mother on the outside, saying that the photos were taken by our Uncle Rusty, as we called him (our grandmother's brother-in-law).  He'd sent copies of the photos for us to have. I don't know if he stamped the date on the photos himself and it's the actual date of the photo, or if the developer put the date of development on it, like they used to do. Usually it was just month and year, though.

Unfortunately, the two other photos from this day are taken in direct overhead sunlight which causes faces to look like masks. Not something I want to reproduce! This one isn't so great either (not focused) but is a record of the Wightmans visit to Pine Bluff.  They are the three girls in the photo, and the youngest boy. The other four boys are my brothers and me, except that Jeff (oldest bro) is not pictured.

The occasion for the visit was the 50th wedding anniversary of Bernie and Jewel (King) Hargis, of Warren, AR. They were married on June 16, 1920.  Jewel, Elner and Francis King were sisters. Elner's husband was Arch L. Miller (died in 1965). Francis was married to George R. "Rusty" Clarke, and they were the Wightman kids' maternal grandparents. So this photo might have been taken more than a week earlier than June 28, if the anniversary celebration was  close to the wedding date.  I also have some Super 8 home movie footage my dad took of the celebration in Warren.  He sort of scanned the crowd off and on for three or four minutes.