Saturday, February 23, 2019

Pinball in a Paris cafe November 1992



I was uncomfortable taking pictures of people in Paris when I was there in late November 1992. I had a used Pentax K-1000 I'd just bought in Austin, where I was living at the time. But this was an easy shot to take while I was sitting at the bar all by myself drinking a cafe noir (espresso in demitasse cup) late in the evening on what was Thanksgiving Day in the U. S.   I developed (printed) this 6" x 9" photo from the negative in Rita Henry's darkroom in Little Rock in November 2014.  I didn't get interested in using the darkroom, though, so this is the only photo I've ever developed myself, although I spent time in Pat Calkins' darkroom when we were in junior high together and he took and developed photos. I remember being in his red-light-lit closet darkroom with him, and also being with him when he took a pinhole photo near 28th and Hazel in Pine Bluff.  I still like taking pictures with old-fashioned cameras, but don't like developing them myself.