Sunday, August 11, 2013

Some Maui 2008 photos


Pat and one of the guests at the Lahaina self-service B&B he managed.  Foreground: clothes line.  Background:  shower.  Not visible to the left of the picture:  screened in communal kitchen.


Above:  Looking out my bathroom window, I could see the roof of the screened-in kitchen, and the general disarray and disrepair of the place.  Below, Pat is coming out of my private (half) bathroom into my private loft area that he kindly arranged for me to use while I was there. 

 
Above:  my sleeping loft, which looked out onto a church and its parking lot and mountains beyond that.  At one time there was a kind of built-in couch where the white paint turns to brown along the back wall, but it had become merely a wooden bench that I stepped up on to get into the loft by the time I stayed there.  Below:  This is the entrance to the building where my room was, with stairs just to the left inside going up to my room.  This bottom floor was a sort of garage or storage room with a gravel floor, and more junk stored in it.
 

 The bearded fellow looked like Pat is why I took this photo.  I thought it was Pat at first, but realized my mistake as I got closer.  This is the park-like area along the waterfront adjacent to the Pioneer Inn and the little Lahaina branch of the Maui public library.  The photo below shows what the bearded fellow would have been seeing in front of him.  There are surfers out in the surf waiting (you can see their heads) and hoping for a big wave.  The stone ruin/patio is what remains of some once-significant public building.

This is the Pioneer Inn viewed from the parking area near the wharf.  Previous photos above where taken in the area where you can see the tops of palm trees.  Yeh, it's not a big place.