Tuesday, April 9, 2019

From San José to Rio Sierpe April 1974

Below: Joe Hardin and me, taken by my dad as we were leaving San José after spending the first night there. My T-shirt is from Warehouse Sound Company in San Luis Obispo, California, formerly known as Stereo Warehouse, the place I got my first good stereo system from in 1972.  I wore long pants the whole trip!  Just wasn't into wearing shorts back then except cut-offs to swim in.  But I didn't even bring any cut-offs, and didn't swim or snorkel in the beautiful clear Pacific Ocean at Cano Island.





Above and below: Our hotel in San Isidro.  The full name of the town is San Isidro del General.  Here's a recent photo of what appears to be the same hotel. Notice in this above photo the wide stride of the fellow on the sidewalk in the background.  Dad and Joe Hardin more or less posed for this picture.

I was using a good 35mm camera for the first time. It was a Miranda (yep, Miranda, not Minolta) that I borrowed from my friend Pat Calkins to take on the trip. I guess the reason I took this above photo was to have before and after shots. Also, now the guy walking on the sidewalk seems to have his head down slightly, giving the appearance of movin' on, somewhat like his wide stride the previous photo.  And another person had come out on the balcony in a room at the hotel as compared with the previous photo.

The only way I determined this was taken after San Isidro is the clothes (shirts) Joe and Dad are wearing are the same as the previous photos.



The Costa Rican country kids photos of my previous post were also taken on this day, just before or after the man-leading-cow photo above.  The speedboat shown at the dock here is not the boat we went on to Cano Island.   Ours was a bigger boat, but more utilitarian, with a homemade plywood roof on it. Three "Ticos" were our guides, and the six of us plus our gear didn't uncomfortably crowd the boat.  Next time I'll post few photos taken on the boat, plus a few from our stay on the island.