Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Picture taken in memory of Marshall Miller

 


Marshall Miller died at his home in Hot Springs, with Jeanne, Marsh and Jessica at his bedside, on March 12, 2021. After I'd talked to Jeanne about 1:15 that afternoon and she told me Marshall was too weak to talk, I heard from my brother Steven at about 4 that Marshall had just died. I took this picture as a memorial tribute. I was walking Molly the beagle in front of the River Bend condos in Little Rock with Rita, who was walking her client dog Woody (small white furry) on his 4 pm outing.

In 1974-75, Marshall was a frequent visitor to the Riverhouse--a modern (1969) one-room cabin on the Arkansas River at Pine Bluff that belonged to my family--when I was living there after dropping out of Hendrix College in December 1973. He and my brother Steven and Marc Cronin, among others, played guitars and sang. Beginning in early 1975, I joined in on banjo, finger-picking on some songs. We also listened to records like Viva Terlingua, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, Tubular Bells, Greetings From Asbury Park, Live Rhymin', I Got A Name, Daltrey, Love Chronicles, Court and Spark, and others. Jeff Wooley, Karen Jo Simmons and her step-siblings Billy and Linda Huckaby, Gil Bowers, Trip Martin, and Pat Calkins were also among the Riverhouse partiers during the year and a half I lived there. 

The Winthrop Rockefeller Institute purchased Marshall's outdoor sculpture installation two years ago. In 2018, the sculpture was one of about 10 others chosen to be temporarily exhibited on the Institute's grounds on Petit Jean mountain. Only Marshall's and one other were chosen to be permanent installations, and Marshall's was dedicated by the Institute to the memory of Winthrop Paul Rockefeller.